Thursday, April 28, 2011

First Impressions: OXY Clinical Face Wash


I recently received a sample of OXY Clinical's Advanced Face Wash from Walmart (anybody can sign up for these samples) and I used it to soothe the somewhat major breakout that Lush's Cupcake mask left me with. I thought I would do a quick review in case any of you have been looking for an inexpensive anti-acne face wash. The sample package I received also contained the OXY Clinical Clearing Treatment but the sample was already expired! So, unfortunately, I cannot review that product along with this one.


First of all, I was surprised at the generous size of the sample which I transferred into an empty sample container for easier storage. The full size is housed in a pump container and contains 150 ml, retailing for around $8 at Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Ulta. The cleanser is a milky white color and the scent is really nice. I was expecting a strong medicated scent since the marketing seems to be suggesting a "clinical" approach. But the scent reminds me of fruit in a good way. The formula is not thick and rather runny which I like because I can spread it around my face easily.

I normally use cleanser once a day when I shower but when I tried this out, I was desperate to get rid of some spots so I used this once in the morning and once in the evening. I used about a quarter size of product each time I cleansed and although it didn't foam up much (there is no sodium laureth sulphate in this product!), my face felt clean and refreshed after using it. The cleanser contains 2% salicylic acid which is common to a lot of acne treatment face washes. This product claims that the salicylic acid remains on the skin which I don't really understand at all. After washing my face, I experienced a bit of dryness but nothing irritating. There was no residue from the cleanser either so I cannot attest to the claim of having more medication remaining on the skin. After about three days of using this cleanser, my skin seemed to heal a bit faster than usual and I had no negative side effects.

I have since stopped using this cleanser and switched back to my normal routine but I have more than half the jar still left. I will use this cleanser whenever I have a breakout I want to calm because it has the salicylic acid and it is quite gentle. I have oily, acne prone skin but I try to avoid using salicylic acid and other acne medications on my entire face everyday because I don't want to become immune to the effects.

Have you tried out OXY Clinical skin care before? Do you use anti-acne medicated facial cleansers?


2 comments:

  1. Sounds alright! Inexpensive..no SLS..and seems to help heal a bit quicker. The only thing is I think my skin doesn't take salicylic acid well. I've tried other acne products with that ingredient and they never seemed to do anything =\ Maybe I'll try this if I'm on a budget and in need of a cleanser.
    I love that walmart has a sample system! But a shame that they are sending expired samples :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even sure if Salicylic acid helps with my acne to be honest even though I've usually had a cleanser with some in it. I'd like to think it helps a bit :/

    I'm just glad not both of the products had expired so I'm not really disappointed since they were free :)

    ReplyDelete