Monday, September 19, 2011

In My Stash: Black Eyeliner Pencils


Black eyeliner pencils are one of the most basic makeup products that I can think of and I do not know any makeup brand that does not produce one. Unfortunately, not all black eyeliners are made equal and that's where this post comes in! I haven't tested too many eyeliners out but I think I've found my holy grail (HG) black eyeliner pencil already.


Covergirl Liquilineblast - This is my holy grail black eyeliner pencil due to its rich pigmentation, creamy formulation, and affordable price tag. I had low expectations for this relatively new-to-the-market eyeliner but I snagged a pack of two at the beginning of the year for around $5. Turns out that this is a drugstore gem! This liner is creamy yet long lasting (if you set it with eyeshadow like I always do) and even after 15 hours of wear, I develop minimal smudging on my oily eyelids. Bottom line: get this NOW!

Revlon Colorstay (Automatic) - This is another drugstore eyeliner which I quite like but do not love. This liner is very black and pigmented but the formula is a bit on the drier side of creamy. It applies well but is a bit harder to smudge. The retractable packaging makes it convenient for traveling and applying on the go as you don't have to fuss about sharpening. I would recommend this liner to those of you who can't be bothered to sharpen your eyeliners and who want a decent drugstore product.

Lancome Le Crayon Khol - This is my least favorite eyeliner of the bunch because it has a hard, scratchy texture which does not glide on smoothly. This liner reminds me so much of a normal pencil in almost every way. This is also very pricey at almost $25 for the full sized version (mine was part of a gift with purchase). The pigmentation is average but the dry formula makes this impossible to set with eyeshadow. In turn, the lasting power of this liner is poor. I would say this is one of those things where you don't get what you pay for. 

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Pencil - Of course, you all knew this was coming. The infamous Urban Decay pencil liner. This is a great eyeliner that is super smooth with decent pigmentation. I find that the black pigment is not as black as some of the other liners but it's not really an issue after I apply black eyeshadow over top. My only gripe with this liner, aside from the hefty $18 price tag, is that after a day's worth of wear (give or take 10 hours) the liner starts creasing. It does not smear or smudge in a horrible way but I find the line is noticeably less intense than when I applied it. Nonetheless, this is a great liner to have and Urban Decay regularly includes these with their palettes and sets.

So these are the four black eyeliner pencils currently in my possession and to be frank, four is already more than enough given that I have other formulas and colors of eyeliners to work with. Hope this post and video was helpful to all of you :)







3 comments:

  1. woww you have very beautiful range of eye pencils love your shirt in video
    Follow Back Please
    ♥ SadeeStyle ♥
    www.sadeestyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually dislike the Covergirl LiquidlineBlast & UB 24/7 eyeliners. They're too creamy for my tapered eyelids :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Ashley, it's a shame they didn't work out for you. I can see why some people can dislike the creaminess. I try to combat that by smudging out the liner with my brush to get rid of excess product and setting the line with shadow to make it stay.

    ReplyDelete