Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Julep's Demi: A Semi-Redeeming Polish?


This is a first for me: posting a NOTD days after applying the nail color with visible CHIPS. I. hate. chipped. nails. But I thought I would show you how Julep's Demi polish fared after three days of wear. My initial impression with my Julep Maven box was not so positive as the first polish I tried was streaky and it took forever to dry. I made an effort to brush on very thin coats of Demi this time around to see if the dry time would be improved. The extra effort helped a bit but it didn't do anything to prevent tip wear.


I must say the color is absolutely gorgeous but only for the first day. The deep red looks bright under direct light but a dark burgundy in poorer lighting conditions. I love colors like Demi for cold wintry days and it gives my hands a very posh look. Unfortunately chips are not posh. At least there was no streaking this time around and I am predicting that the cream finishes will probably be streak free. 

Is a Julep box worth the money? Yes and no. Yes if you use one of the introductory codes. I believe there is always a code for new members to get their first box for only $5. For $5 you can't go wrong and you can get some pretty interesting nail colors. But by no means are the boxes worth the normal price of $20. The concept is great. The colors look nice. But at the end of the day, the quality of the polishes fails to impress me. If you're curious to see for yourself, you can try Julep HERE and be sure to use one of those $5 offers that float around the internet! I believe the code WELCOMEMV5 should work but if not, many partnered bloggers and Youtubers have personalized deals as well. 

Have you tried Julep? If you have, do you like their products? If not, would you be interesting in trying them for yourself?

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a really pretty color! This is the first time I'm seeing Julep polishes.

    Is this with a top coat? My tips usually wear out pretty fast because I don't cover them with a top coat well enough =.=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is with Seche Vite top coat. I can usually maintain my manicure with this top coat for about a week before there is noticeable tip wear and minimal chipping. My Sephora By OPI polishes last much longer than the Julep polishes. I used to use a Loreal top coat and it worked pretty well. I'm not overly picky with top coats because I feel that they're somewhat similar but I must say Seche Vite is better (and more expensive).

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of Julep either. Their polishes aren't great (especially at past the $10 mark) and I find these subscription boxes are really beginning to fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are definitely not worth $10 and I'm glad I got my box when they were doing the 1 cent offer. I heard that a lot of people were unsatisfied with their Birchboxes lately and unsubscribed. I never bought any of the regular beauty boxes but I kind of want to get one just to see what I get.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely shade of red. Too bad about the wear. I'm not familiar with Julep polishes but I think I'll pass based on your reviews. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the color but the formula is just meh. You won't be missing much from skipping these!

      Delete