Friday, January 27, 2012

My Top 5: Lipglosses


I am excited to introduce a new series to my blog and Youtube channel called "My Top 5" in which I pick a category and show you my favorite five products from that said category. Lipgloss was one of those things that took a bit of experimenting, trial and error to find formulas that I liked. I have sensitive lips that dry out very easily so glosses are usually very hit or miss for me. I have lip swatches for some of these glosses and I will link them to the name of the gloss for easy access.

Nars Dolce Vita Lipgloss - While I only have a sample of this gloss, a little goes a long way with this uber pigmented creamy formula. The color is a dusty rose which is perfect paired with a neutral makeup look. The formula is comfortable to wear and lasts for hours because it is thick. This never dries out my lips and does not sink into lip lines so I rarely have to look in the mirror to make sure my lips don't look chapped. This is a beautiful gloss but at $24 I have to control myself from splurging on more shades.

Too Faced Pillow Talk Glamour Gloss - This is the best feeling gloss I have to talk about because it leaves a minty, cool sensation that I love. The formula is very smooth and it makes your lips feel moist and refreshed. The shade is also beautiful and looks like a peachy nude on my lips. The shimmer is noticeable on the skin but I never have a problem with it looking garish on my lips. The brush tip applicator makes putting this on your puckers a breeze!

Mac Fashion Whim Cremesheen Glass - This is my one and only Mac lipgloss (which will probably change in the near future) and I love the formulation and color to bits. This gloss is creamy and light coverage but it provides just enough for that bare there nude lip. The cream formulation makes it comfortable to wear and it does not dry out your lips a single bit. There are micro shimmers in this gloss but I really can't tell once it's on my lips. I love this and I really want to try some other shades from this line (that's what I'll be saying for all of these favorites basically...).



Revlon Peony Colorburst Lipgloss - At first I wasn't wowed by this lipgloss because I wore it alone and it didn't look like much. But then I started using this to top off my lipstick and I was won. This is quite sheer so on it's own it won't look like anything but a bit of shine but it's ability to smooth out a lipstick is impressive. The shimmer can be gritty when you wear it alone but with a layer of lipstick underneath, the grittiness is definitely minimized. This is definitely one of my most reached for lipglosses simply because it looks good over any lipstick color!

Cargo Morocco Lipgloss - This is another favorite of mine for topping over lipsticks. While this looks a lot darker than Peony in the swatch above, it is actually very sheer once applied onto the lips. It imparts a beautiful shimmer which is dispersed in the lightweight, non-sticky formula. Unfortunately I cannot find this particular color online and it may be limited edition in the Summer 2011 Mediterranean Kit. If you can get your hands on this, I definitely recommend it! I'm curious to try out some of Cargo's other lipglosses to see if the formula is just as good.

Check out the video below to hear more of my thoughts on these glosses!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Dolce Vita and the MAC cremesheen lipglasses!

    I frequent NY often, I'm originally from LES but now I live in NJ. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes sense! Maybe we'll run into each other one day XD

      Delete
  2. peony is def one of my favs, its so wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many people like Dolce Vita! Def. gonna go check it out at Sephora next time. Peony looks uber pretty too! :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg these shades are beautiful! bookmaking your page for future reference. I think I've seen you around soompi before! I love your tutorials :) following for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I don't go on Soompi as much as I used to so I'm surprised you've seen me before! I used to go on everyday for HOURS :)

      Delete