Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Skincare Routine Pt 1: Day and Night


Am I on a posting binge or what? It's been awhile since I posted daily and it feels good! I recently bought a bunch of new products and I still have many that I have yet to review so the posts will keep on coming!

Skincare is just as important, if not more so, than makeup because it is the canvas where all your makeup is going to go. My goal is to have healthy, radiant and clear skin without the use of makeup and skincare is my solution. I have yet to find my perfect routine for my oily, acne prone skin which is currently a bit normal and sensitive due to the cold weather. I thought I should include a bit of a back story because I feel like it has to do with why I am so keen on "fixing" my skin. I started getting acne around the age of 13 predominantly around my forehead area. I suffered through many years of embarrassment and many mean friends and family made me feel bad about my skin. Some of my "close" friends in middle school used to jokingly tell me that they would get me Proactiv for my acne (I actually never tried Proactiv and have no urge to, probably due to all the teasing). Up until junior year of high school, I had no interest in makeup or anything beauty related. I was extremely lazy and I did not have a skincare routine at all. My mom bought me some face washes and moisturizers but I rarely used them due to laziness. By senior year I started paying a bit more attention to my skin because I had discovered amazing beauty blogs and videos and I think my teenage hormones calmed down a bit. From then on til now my skin has been about the same. I always have at least one or two pimples or small outbreaks at any given time and during a certain week of the month my face will be littered with acne. As I got older I became more confident and it mattered less how my skin looked because I felt comfortable in it despite having a few spots. That was a long background story.... Basically the moral is that it is important to take care of your skin and to not let your blemishes control your life.

I held off from doing a skincare routine post for awhile simply because I'm always changing products and trying new things. For now I quite like most of the items in my rotation and I've used them for long enough to tell you about each one.

Pictured above is my basic morning routine (minus my cleanser which is pictured below). I start off my day by washing my skin with a facial cleanser (I'm not too picky with cleansers) and following up with Thayers Witch Hazel. I put my Thayers Witch Hazel into a spray bottle and swipe away excess moisture with a cotton pad. Although it does not do miracles for my skin, it is gentle and I feel as if it preps my skin for moisturizer. I have been using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion which I desperately want to use up since I recently finished the full sized bottle last month. This lotion is good for dry skin and I can only use it during the winter or else I will be a grease ball. It's nothing special though and I would not repurchase. I am not a big fan of Clinique's skincare products to be honest. After a moisturizing lotion, I apply a sunscreen. My favorite is Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 38 PA+++ as it smells great, applies easily without a greasy residue, and acts like a makeup primer. I have also been trying out the Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion SPF 30 (what a mouth full!) and it is similar to the Shiseido sunscreen minus the scent. I choose either of the sunscreens to use (not both) and they are my favorite sunscreens thus far (the Shiseido one wins because it smells good and it's less expensive).


If I wore makeup for the day, I must remove my makeup (usually as soon as I get home or if I'm lazy, definitely a few hours before bed time). It is crucial to take off your makeup because it can clog your pores and create breakouts. I first use Sonia Kashuk's Eye Makeup Remover on a cotton pad to swipe off my eyeshadow, liner, and mascara. Then I take two to three pumps of Kose Softymo White Cleansing Oil onto my dry hands and massage it onto my dry face. I prefer Shiseido's Perfect Oil Cleansing Oil but I try to only have one cleansing product at the time open. After massaging my face for about a minute with the oil, I rinse my face with warm water to emulsify the oil. I then follow up with a cleanser to get rid of any leftover residue. I am currently using Shiseido's The Skincare Extra Gentle Cleansing Foam (this is also what I use in the morning).


In the nighttime, I splash my face with cold water after brushing my teeth. Then I spritz some witch hazel on my skin and wipe away with a cotton pad like in my morning routine. Then I dab a bit of Bobbi Brown's Hydrating Eye Cream under my eyes using my ring fingers. I take any excess product around my eyes onto my eyelids. This is the first eye cream I have tried and I am not sure that I even need eye cream at my age. It's a nice extra step to make myself feel pampered though. The cream is easily absorbed but I do not think it has any anti aging or anti wrinkle properties. Then I take a quarter sized dollop of La Roche Posay's Toleriane moisturizer which is meant for combination to normal intolerant skin. I LOVE this moisturizer so much! It is basic yet effective. It is formulated without preservatives and fragrance so it is perfect for my skin at the moment because it tends to get sensitive. My skin has definitely felt smoother since using this and I have no experienced any breakouts or negative effects from it. Lastly, if I have any active pimples or spots that are about to turn into pimples, I will dab on some of Up&Up's Maximum Strength Acne Medication which contains 10% benzoyl peroxide. This is a high concentration of benzoyl peroxide  but it does not dry my skin out and it does reduce spots within a few nights of repeated use. I am almost out of it and while it is a very good budget spot reducer (it retails for around $5 I believe) I have a tube of La Roche Posay's famous Effaclar Duo which I am very excited to use.

Check out the video below to see the products and to hear me talk about them some more!

10 comments:

  1. I really want to try a Thayers toner, I've heard such great things about the witch hazel one!

    Also, I'm currently running a giveaway for the chance to win a Clarisonic Mia! I'd love it if you could check it out on my blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thayers toner I am using now is witzh hazel but it is the one with a lavender scent. They have multiple versions of witch hazel with different scents such as rose.

      Delete
  2. I love the Sonia Kashuk Eye Makeup Remover! Can't wait for the Targets in Canada to open. I need more of it soon ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good eye makeup remover but I can't tell a big different between the Sonia Kashuk or Target's Up&Up eye makeup remover. The Up & Up version is about half the price and just as effective in my opinion so I think I'll be going back to that one after I'm done with the Sonia Kashuk remover!

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of nice things. Sorry to hear that you had to go through the teasing from your close friends and family. It looks like you have your skin under control now. I think I need to pick up that up&up acne medication and give it a try. I get the occasional pimple when I'm stressed or hormone going wack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My skin is still pretty troublesome and it's constantly breaking out and healing so I never have good skin for more than two weeks. Hope you like the Up&Up medication if you try it!

      Delete
  4. Love your video and post! I like to watch/read skincare related stuff because I truly think that having healthy glowing skin is more important than using foundation/concealer to cover everything up. It takes a lot of patience and time to achieve healthy skin, but once is done, it's not too hard to maintain it and you end up using so much less foundation/concealer! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LittoMokaa, you're too kind! I agree with everything that you said :) I prefer light coverage base makeup and having even skin definitely allows me to use less makeup.

      Delete
  5. I've heard so many good things about Thayers toners, I want to try it now! Happy to hear you've found a routine that works well for you. I had really bad acne during my high school years too, and I hated it when people drew any attention to it - even if they were trying to help by suggesting products I should try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what I'm using now but I will probably never stop trying to find a new HG :) I'm thinking of converting most of my skincare to La Roche Posay to see how my skin likes it. I'm so glad that grade school years are over because I'm so over the drama and unnecessary frustration!

      Delete