Tuesday, March 6, 2012

January and February 2012 Empties


I am quite happy with the latest bits and bobs which I have managed to use up in the last two months. As usual, lots of skincare and samples but progress nonetheless! As usual I will link off reviews for the products I have blogged about previously and sum up my thoughts on the rest.

Equate Facial Cleansing Towelettes - I used to use makeup remover wipes to remove my base makeup for the first year or two of wearing makeup. Now I prefer using cleansing oil or some liquid kind of cleanser because the daily tugging from the cloths seems like an inefficient way of removing impurities and a sure fire way to encourage early wrinkles. I like to use these to clean my fingers after applying foundation, concealer, or eye primer in the mornings. I have another pack of these to use up (bought them as two packs of 60 wipes each for about $6 I believe) and will not repurchase.

Target Up&Up Eye Makeup Remover - I talked about these in previous empties posts and my thoughts are the same: effective, inexpensive eye makeup remover. This is something I can see myself repurchasing until the end of time....

Shiseido The Skincare Cleanser, Toner, Night Moisturizer (samples) - The cleanser is amazing because it foams up into fluffy goodness but the toner and night moisturizer are misses. The toner does absolutely nothing and the night moisturizer left me with some minor breakouts. All three products have the same pleasant fragrance which some will hate but I personally like. I will probably not repurchase any of these and perhaps hope to get the cleanser again in a gift with purchase or other offer.

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion - So glad I am finally done with this as it wasn't doing much good for my skin. I have normally oily skin so I can only use this in the driest times (i.e. winter). This is nothing special and definitely no match for La Roche Posay Toleriane (I really can't stop raving about Toleriane...).

Bath and Body Works Shea Cashmere Moonlight Path Hand Cream - This was part of a gift last year from a friend. I dislike Bath and Body Works because they have low quality products made from low grade ingredients. The only reason for their popularity can be attributed to their bright, somewhat attractive packaging and endless sales. Effective mass marketing aside, this hand cream does nothing but coat your hands in silicone and light reflecting mica. The smooth feeling is not from "shea cashmere" (last time I checked cashmere was goat hair so no idea how they thought they could use it in skincare) but from things like dimethicone.

Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets - These are really the best oil blotting sheets ever. The Boscia ones I am currently using come no where close and I would definitely repurchase these when I run out.

Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara (sample) - This is good but nothing I can't get from my favorite (and drugstore) mascara which is Maybelline's Colossal Waterproof.

Clinique Happy and YSL Parisienne Perfume (samples) - Perfume samples take me eons to use up and I guess that can be a good thing when you like the scents. I actually like both of these and own the full size of Parisienne. For some reason I liked how the sample smelled more than the full bottle....

Dr. Jart Premium BB Cream (sample) - I talked about this in my natural makeup routine post HERE and demonstrated how I apply this. At first I was not all that impressed because sometimes it would look cakey but then I realized I had to apply this with my fingers on freshly moisturized skin. This blends seamlessly into fair skin when the moisturizer has not fully absorbed. I have another sample of this to use but after that's done I do not think I will repurchase because there are so many options out there. This is also quite expensive for a BB cream since most Westerners don't realize how inexpensive most BB creams are in Asia. This has gotten me curious about other BB creams which I've known about since I first became interested in beauty products (circa 2009?) like the Missha Perfect Cover.

Nars Pro Prime Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (sample) - I can barely tell a difference between this, Urban Decay Primer Potion, and Too Faced Shadow Insurance in terms of performance. The Nars primer is white rather than skin tone but they all blend out into nothing. I have a bunch of eyeshadow primers to use up and when I do, I probably will not purchase the Nars primer because it is a few dollars pricier than UDPP and TFSI.

Softlips Vanilla Lipbalm - Softlips is one of my favorite lip balm brands. The smooth consistency and nice scents always have me buying backups.

E.L.F Cream Liner in Coffee - I didn't finish this product. In fact, I probably didn't manage to use up a third of this because it dried out on me. The color is beautiful which is why this was actually features in my July 2011 Favorites. Unfortunately the product dried up quickly, probably due to the plastic packaging which was not air tight. That being said, I will not repurchase any of the E.L.F Cream Liners because of the faulty packaging.

Check out the video below to get a better look at each product!!


What beauty items have you finished or chucked from your stash recently?

8 comments:

  1. good job! i will have avoid the clinique dramatically different moisturizer. i feel like it is a very hyped up product. interesting take on B&BW. i liked hearing your thoughts on it, makes me think differently about the brand. i actually have been pretty much done with the brand, as you said i feel like the quality isnt the best. i still want to try out the nars smudgeproof primer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After taking some business classes, I will never look at products and brands the same way again XD If you're not satisfied with Urban Decay or Too Faced, Nars might be good for you since a lot of people like it more :)

      Delete
  2. That's an impressive amount of empties! Perfume samples take me ages as well, and just perfume in general; I guess I don't use as much as some people? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I amass a lot of empties because I try out so many samples >.< I usually do two spritzes of perfume when I remember to wear it. I've become "better" at remembering within the last few months because I want to use up samples (especially ones I don't particularly like).

      Delete
  3. Good job for the empties! I should restart these kind of post too x) I agree with about BBW products and the "cashmere" made me LOL. You're so lucky that La Roche Posay Toleriane works for you! I went through a full tube last winter because I had eczema on my face and it was the only moisturizer that I could use. It calmed my skin but wouldn't absorb into my skin in my T-zone area, even with just a little! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm glad you found that part funny. I chuckled a bit as I was editing the video because I didn't realize how much conviction I put into that rant when I was speaking. Even though I get oily throughout the day, Toleriane sinks in very well. As long as it doesn't break me out I don't mind that it doesn't mattify or control the oiliness :)

      Delete
  4. If you want to continue using your ELF cream liner, just use some eye drops (visine or something similar) and stir it up with a toothpick and it's good to go! :)
    I did the same thing with my black one from elf and it works fine~ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I already mixed up the cream liner a few times before when it was drying up but now I just about gave up on it :(

      Delete