Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My First Birchbox: Teen Vogue March 2012


Believe it or not this is my first Birchbox and I seem to be the last person in the beauty blogging community to jump on the beauty box bandwagon. For those of you who might not know, Birchbox is a monthly subscription service that delivers 4-5 beauty related products to your door for only $10 a month. When Birchbox first launched, I passed because I was strapped for cash but when I had enough money, they did not have enough boxes to offer. Last month Birchbox stepped up their game and was able to meet the demands of the beauty loving folks out there and this was the lovely box that arrived for March.


This month you could choose to receive a special Teen Vogue edition of Birchbox. Eva Chen, the beauty editor of Teen Vogue, apparently helped pick the products for this box so I was super excited to see what I received.


On the other side of the description card there is a helpful list of the product names, descriptions and prices of the full sized products. All of the products are available for purchase on Birchbox's website which makes purchasing the products you enjoy a lot easier.


The bright packaging and presentation of the Birchbox really makes the experience all the more worthwhile. I was initially ecstatic because both the Essie nail polish and Tarte LipSurgence Lip Pencil are full sized products. These two products alone are worth $32 which already exceeds the box's $10 price tag. The perfume sample, hair oil sample, and hair tie were nice bonuses.


Here is a closer look at the products. I am not fussy about my hair (which probably explains why it looks horrible 95% of the time) but I am willing to test out the hair oil to see if it does anything. The Essie polish is in the shade As Gold As It Gets which is beautiful (swatches will be posted of this shortly!). I own Shine of the Times which is also from the LuxEffects Collection which I reviewed HERE. The Tarte lip pencil is in the color Lucky and is a matte formulation. This shade is permanent and available at Tarte retailers such as Sephora as well. I reviewed the five Tarte Lip Surgence Lip Pencils that I already own HERE but none of those were matte. Lucky is a beautiful bright yellow toned pink which will be perfect for spring. Unfortunately the formula is not moisturizing on my lips and after a few hours the color sinks into my lip lines and builds up in certain areas. I am not a huge fan of overly matte lips and my lips tend to dry out easily so perhaps this wasn't the best product for me. That is not Birchbox's fault though and I am happy to add this lip color to my collection because it is not a shade I would normally purchase on my own. The hair tie is a bit random but at least I know I can use it.

I am pleased with my first Birchbox and will be continuing my subscription for the next few months. I like the idea of getting a surprise assortment of beauty products every month for an affordable price. Yes, $10 adds up but since I am going on a beauty buying ban, $10 is a small price to pay to satiate my beauty appetite. If you think about it in terms of food, a Birchbox is equivalent to about 3 Starbucks drinks which is not bad at all (I rarely ever drink things like Starbucks but I just wanted to frame a point of reference). Are you subscribed to Birchbox? If you are, what did you receive this month and did you like the products? If you aren't subscribed to Birchbox, check it out HERE.

6 comments:

  1. That's very nice that you got the nail polish and lip pencil full size. I wasn't very thrilled with myglam bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These boxes seem to be very inconsistent so it literally could be 2 full sized makeup products one month and no makeup products at all in the next :( I like Birchbox as a brand in general though so I will stick with it! Glossybox seems very well coordinated so I'm anticipating their US launch!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow can't believe you got a Tarte lipstain AND an Essie nail polish -- and they both look so pretty! I'm kind of hesitant to jump on the bandwagon, but I loove surprises. Might just join/try it out for one month some time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I believe pretty much everyone who opted for the Teen Vogue box received both full sized products :) The thing is that there is no option to purchase only one box. They automatically bill you every month which is extremely annoying. You could subscribe and then cancel after your first box. It's a really good business strategy to be honest although a bit inconvenient for customers who might only want to give themselves a small treat for a month or two :/

      Delete
  3. the box looks great! I love the essie nail polish! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, me too! Swatches will be up in a week or two :)

      Delete