Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Top 5: Drugstore Neutral Eyeshadows


Eyeshadows used to be my favorite type of makeup product (now I like almost every product just as much which is totally not good for my bank account) so naturally I have a lot of drugstore shadows since that was what I could afford at the time. To be quite honest, eyeshadows are the one type of makeup product that you can definitely buy at the drugstore and still be able to achieve the same effect you can get with higher end shadows. I was tempted to make this my top 10 neutral drugstore eyeshadows but I wanted to keep to the "My Top 5" theme. I also decided to choose a single shadow from the palettes because choosing the whole palette would be kind of cheating. However, you would need to buy the whole palette to  get my favorite shade anyway so I'm not sure where my logic was going with that idea. Without further ado, these are my five most used and loved neutral eyeshadows from the drugstore and the ones I would recommend in a heartbeat.


Everyone needs a light, pink leaning champagne color to brighten up the inner corners of the eyes or as an easy wash of color over the lids. Physician's Formula Baked Trio in Baked Sugar has a beautiful champagne color with buttery pigmentation and smooth application to give you that doe eyed look for tired days.

Revlon's Satin Single Eyeshadow in Nude Slip is a brown champagne shade that is perfect for those of you who can't be bothered to apply five shadows every morning. I like to use Nude Slip as an all over lid color because it has a super reflective shine while delivering amazing pigmentation.


For all you taupe lovers, the taupe from L'oreal's HIP Duo in Sassy has got you covered. Sassy is a rich brown taupe with subtle purple undertones, making it reminiscent of Mac's Satin Taupe. Sassy looks great all over the lid for a subtle smokey eye or just in the crease and outer corner for definition.

My all time favorite shimmery dark brown that beats out high end dark browns is the crease color from Maybelline's Natural Smokes Quad. The shadow is not as smooth as the others but the pigmentation is out of this world and the finish is beautifully metallic. This dark brown has complex burgandy undertones and looks beautiful when applied to the outer corner. Mac's Carbonized which was limited edition from last year's Mac Me Over collection looks similar but I prefer the Maybelline shadow for some reason. On another note, I'm sad that Maybelline changed the design of their eyeshadow quads because I liked having pans of equal sizes.

Lastly, the only matte shadow that I use on a regular basis is the light matte brown from Maybelline's Chai Latte Quad. I can go months without using a matte eyeshadow but sometimes I use one everyday in my nonexistent crease to blend out my lid color. It's a strange thing that I find myself doing often but whenever I'm in my matte crease mood, I reach for Maybelline's Chai Latte. The pigmentation is not amazingly rich or in your face but that's one of the biggest reasons why I like it. I want my matte contour shadows to blend out other shadows seamlessly and an overly pigmented or powdery shadow will not do that as nicely. I like that there are some cool tones in the shadow as I don't like very warm crease colors either (I'm already yellow enough!). The darker matte brown is also lovely in this quad so if you like mattes and you're on a budget, get this quad!

Check out the video below for my swatches and raves of my top 5 neutral drugstore eyeshadows!


So there you have it, my favorite neutral drugstore shadows out of my ridiculously excessive collection. I really don't think I'll ever come close to finishing the shadows I have at the moment so I don't think I can allow myself to explore the newer drugstore shadow offerings for awhile. Do you buy drugstore eyeshadows? Let me know which ones are your favorite!

8 comments:

  1. Nude slip is one of my favorite drugstore shadows as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good paired together - definitely neutral, but enough contrast to compliment other. I'm really liking the look of revlon nude slip & l'oreal sassy. I love drugstore eyeshadows too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just so happened that most of my faves weren't all the same kind of shade XD I tend to like the same kind of color families though like champagnes, taupes, and rich browns. Drugstore eyeshadows are amazing but the beauty junkie in me loves trying out high end products as well >.<

      Delete
  3. wow the pigmentation is incredible. Those are very lovely shades. I haven't tried the Maybelline quads yet. I'm trying really hard to slow down the roll on makeup purchases and focus more on the things that I actually need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that Pang! Most of these were purchased quite a while ago when I never really tried higher end makeup. I don't think I've gotten any drugstore eyeshadows in awhile because I just have SO many. When you've been on a ban long enough maybe you could check out the Maybelline shadows :)

      Delete
  4. Nude Slip looks gorgeous! I remember everyone going crazy for this shade -- rightfully so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nude Slip is something I can use constantly for weeks without getting bored of it :) It's the perfect all over lid color!

      Delete