Friday, March 23, 2012

Nars Does Neutrals: Kalahari Eyeshadow Duo


I'm not sure how they do it but Nars makes me wants to collect all of the little rubberized compacts that they offer. The first eyeshadow duo that I purchased to start off my (eventual) Nars eyeshadow obsession is Kalahari, a neutral duo of brown shadows.


For $34 you receive 2 grams of each color which is not too bad. Mac shadows in pot form cost $300 per ounce whereas Nars duo shadows cost about $243 per ounce. So you see these duos are actually not as expensive per ounce compared to other high end brands.


To tell you the truth, upon initial swatching, I was not blown away by the pigmentation. I was slightly disappointed that I had thrown down $34 for two average eyeshadows. But after using the shadows a couple of times and swatching again, the shadows picked up excellently. I think it may have been that the shadows had some sort of layer over them (perhaps I picked up an older product?) but after a few uses I can see it's true beauty. The left shade is a super shimmery taupe brown shadow with golden undertones. It truly is amazing and I do not have anything quite like it in my collection yet. The shade on the right looks pretty shimmery in the swatch but it has more of a shimmer/satin finish in real life. It's a tad darker than the other shade and has more of a purple undertone. This color is perfect for the crease.

Kalahari is a nice eyeshadow duo to have, especially if you can't get enough of neutral, office appropriate eyeshadows. I am happy with my purchase and hope to try some other Nars eyeshadows in the near future!

14 comments:

  1. Ahh yes i have a few duos and the top layer usually SUCKS i dont know why...but once u get a lil dig in them they are better! but now all duos, some are just plain bad so i would suggest u swatch them in person and not online
    glad u like this duo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know because I was having a mini panic attack when I initially swatched this at home! I look at reviews and swatches extensively before purchasing most high end items so I don't get any duds :) Some of Nars' products look plain awful so I'll stay clear of those.

      Delete
  2. nars blushes are amazing. nars eyeshadows...i am on the fence. i only have two duos and a single. the ones i have are pigmented but...they just arent the easiest to blend out. i find it is really difficult in that aspect which is why i havent collected more. id rather spend my money toward LMdB shadows or burberry! glad you are enjoying this duo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard mixed reviews on Nars shadows which makes me sad :( I really want to try LMdB shadows (Corinthian has my name written ALLLL over it!) and Burberry ones so maybe I should suppress my hunger for more Nars and save up for those instead :)

      Delete
  3. WOAHH~ I really like this duo! The only other one that I own is Earth Angel and I love that duo. But this one seems very silky and smooth on your fingers. Mhmmmm thats weird about the film on the very top layer. I guess you just need to dig your brush in there. Do you have Earth Angel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalahari is my first and right now the only Nars duo shadow I own so I do not have Earth Angel yet. It's on my wishlist but I'm not sure if I'll purchase it because I don't think I'd use the green much. How do you wear Earth Angel?

      Delete
  4. I still don't own any Nars eyeshadow yet. I still can't get over the price for just two eyeshadow. Anyways, I notice the same thing about their blushes too. I literally had to scratch the top layer with a Qtip. The color payoff works better that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are incredibly expensive but my excuse it that I'll buy fewer, more expensive products rather than many inexpensive products since it takes me eons to finish anything up. That's weird because I never had any issues with the 3 blushes that I have from them :/

      Delete
    2. I had to do that with ones from their blush palette. I've never bought them individually.

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, out of all the reviews I've seen for the Danmari palette nobody's mentioned that! Good to know though.

      Delete
  5. Holy cow this duo looks gooooooorgeous! I've been wanting to get NARS eyeshadows for years but still haven't! Just can't choose on one single color that I can make the most use out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have products on my wishlist for years before I get them because I'm always putting it off mainly due to price >.< Just think that you'll probably own a few so you don't necessarily have to choose only one color :P

      Delete
  6. I'm totally in love with taupe color but I hate having only duo or mono eyeshadows because they seem to take so much space and makes me feel that I have too much makeup LOL and I can't commit to a single shade or two :( I bought a NARS duo eyeshadow too a while back, loved it for about a month or so and now it's in a drawer picking up dust. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, yea that seems to happen to most beauty fanatics :/ Most of my makeup gets unloved for at least a few months before I even pick it up to have a look to be honest :(

      Delete