Friday, April 27, 2012

March and April 2012 Empties


Another round of empties and very old products that have past their prime are going into the recycling and trash! Let's get on with the reviews!

Pond's Wet Cleansing Towelettes - I received a sample pack of these with my Target Beauty Bag and brought them with me when I went to Philadelphia for a weekend. I prefer using a cleansing oil to remove my face makeup but sometimes if I'm wearing only powder and blush, I'll opt for a makeup removing wipe out of ease. I was not impressed by these wipes as the cloth was not plush enough for my liking and the fragrance was not pleasant. It does smell like tea but in a slightly sickening way but that's just my scent preference. I would not recommend these nor purchase the full size.

La Roche Posay Toleriane - I have sung praises for this moisturizer enough times for you to know that I adore this product. When I was using this my skin felt and looked the best it has in months. When I am looking for a moisturizer, I will definitely repurchase this or one of the other moisturizers from the Toleriane line. Read my full review if you want more details about this moisturizer.

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion - I finished a full sized version of this in my last empties post and talked about it a bit there. I don't think I realized how poor this worked on my skin until after I switched to Toleriane. Halfway through the sample tube of Clinique's moisturizer I ended up using the rest on my hands and body just to use it all up. This does not sink into my skin well and while it is moisturizing, it doesn't come close to Toleriane in terms of improving my skintone.

Philosophy Hope Oil Free SPF 30 - The fact that I couldn't even fully finish this sample shows how much I disliked this product. This sample was part of last year's Sephora Sun Safety Kit and it is probably my least favorite sunscreen of all time. The scent was clearly that of a typical sunscreen and it lingered longer than other sunscreens. The moisturizer took a long time to absorb into my skin and it made my skin itch. I think something in this formula makes my skin reactive which may be a personal problem. Usually when I do not like a moisturizer I will use it up on my hands but this couldn't even be used for that. It left a greasy film on my skin that was just plain uncomfortable. I highly DO NOT recommend this. My favorite sunscreen is still Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection Cream.

Up&Up Maximum Strength Acne Medication - This 10% benzoyl peroxide acne treatment worked well for the price. If you're on a budget, this will reduce the severity of breakouts within a few days. Even though there is a high concentration of benzoyl peroxide, my skin did not become dry or irritated despite constant use. This could vary from person to person though. I want to say I would repurchase this because it worked and it's inexpensive but the beauty junkie in me has a million and one acne treatments that I want to try before I repurchase this.

Origins Incredible Spreadable Scrub - Aside from the cute name, this is a very good scrub. This scrub contains sugar, salt, and a blend of oils so it not only exfoliates but moisturizes as well. This made my skin very smooth and nourished but a huge con was that it always left a greasy film in my bathtub. For this reason I can not justify purchasing the full size.

Mac Face and Body Foundation - It took me quite a few weeks to finish my little sample of this foundation. For some reason foundation samples always last me forever. I really like this foundation and will probably purchase the full size in the future. Check out my full review to learn more about it and to see a demo of how I apply it to my skin.

Rimmel Lasting Finish 16 Hour Foundation - This is a discontinued foundation and actually the first foundation I ever bought. The coverage is medium to full and I often mixed this with a moisturizer to prevent this from looking too cakey. This was a decent foundation for the price but I did not manage to finish it up as I only used this when it suits my skin tone (usually in the winter). I whipped this out a few weeks ago and it seemed to have broken me out so I think it might have gone bad. I think I used up about 80% of it so I got my money's worth for it.

Loreal Voluminous Mascara - I tried this after hearing a lot of rave reviews about it. Unfortunately it didn't do much for my lashes but clump them together and weigh them down. When I first opened the tube the formula was very wet but it performed a bit better after it had dried up a bit. Still, this is not a mascara I would repurchase.

Cargo Better Than Waterproof Mascara - I did not care much for this mascara because it was hard to remove and it didn't hold a curl the way other mascaras do. I ultimately had to bin this because the stopper became attached to the wand and with nothing to scrape off the excess mascara from the brush, this was pretty much impossible to use. Packaging fail for a pretty unremarkable product makes this a definite no buy.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in Pink Pursuit - This was one of the first lipglosses I ever bought and while the color is beautiful in the tube, it looks very strange on my lips. I can't quite put my finger on it but this gloss just looks unflattering on me. Also, the gloss started to separate so it was about time for it to get binned. The Super Lustrous lipglosses have SPF15 and all the newer glosses have expiration dates printed on the packaging if you look close enough.

Check out the video below to see the products up close and to hear more of my thoughts on them!



That's it for all my empties from the past two months. I have a few products that are on their last leg that I can't wait to review in my next empties post! What have you finished lately?

8 comments:

  1. yay! great empties. the la roche posay moisturizer sounds amazing, i might pick it up next time i'm looking for a moisturizer :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that the La Roche moisturizer worked well on you. I'm always in search of a good moisterizer. I will definitely read your review on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rarely super impressed with skincare products because there are almost always some aspect I'm not happy with like fragrance, silicones, alcohol, etc. I'm amazed I found something I can actually love and recommend :)

      Delete
  3. Yay for the empties! Since the weather is warming up and that you loved the Toleriane line, I highly recommend the fluid version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you like the Toleriane line too :D I have a few moisturizers in my stash I need to start using first though so I can't buy a new one yet >.<

      Delete
  4. I might have to try Toleriane! I'm always looking for a good moisturizer, especially one that will help combat all the problems I've been having with my skin. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have oily skin, it might not be best to try Toleriane (at least the regular formula I reviewed) in the summer. But if you have dry-normal skin, give it a go :D

      Delete