Saturday, April 21, 2012

NYX Rouge Creams: Bargain Cream Blush!


After much success with my first cream blush venture, Illamasqua's Cream Blush in Rude, I wanted to get my hands on other cream blushes to compare. After all, Illamasqua's version costs $24 which is a pretty penny. I had my eyes on the NYX cream blushes after seeing many positive reviews and I managed to pick up two shades for only $3.36 each when Ulta had 40% off NYX products and an extra 20% off the entire purchase. So at less than one sixth of the price of Illamasqua's blush, does the NYX cream blush deserve the praise it's been given in the beauty community?


The full line up of NYX Rouge Cream Blushes include 12 shades which is a decent number. Ulta only had a few to choose from at the time of the sale so I chose Tea Rose and Rose Petal. The blushes weigh .12 ounces or 3.5 grams which is a bit less than Illamasqua's version which contains .14 ounces and 4 grams. Ounce for ounce NYX is definitely a more affordable alternative to higher end cream blushes. Illamasqua's cream blushes are $171.34 per ounce, Mac's cremeblend blushes are $105.26 per ounce. If you buy the NYX cream blushes at their retail cost of $5.50 the price for one ounce would be $45.83. At the price I paid, the NYX cream blushes only cost $28 per ounce.


Tea Rose and Rose Petal look very similar in person but to a beauty enthusiast there is a noticeable difference between the two shades. Tea Rose is a warm brown beige with slight hints of pink whereas Rose Petal is a warm pink shade. Both are lovely neutral shades that would work on light to medium skin tones. I am not sure how well these would show up on darker complexions.



Only the slightest dab into the pan yields concentrated color payoff which is great for cream blushes since you do not want a lot of product sitting on your cheeks. The consistency of these blushes is very comparable to the Illamasqua version and I found them a breeze to blend into the cheeks using a blush brush. I have a tutorial HERE on how I apply cream blush if you're interested. My favorite thing about cream blush is the natural look of it once blended out and these look undetectable on my skin. The NYX blushes leave a semi dewy sheen on my skin but they do not feel oily or heavy. 

The one drawback to these is that they fade in around five or six (see below) hours on me whereas I have had the Illamasqua blush last the entire day on my skin with less fading. You could combat this issue by setting the cream blush with a powder but ultimately I wear cream blush in place of a powder so I wish these could last on their own.

For the price, NYX Rouge Cream Blushes are amazing because they come in a variety of shades and offer very nice pigmentation. If you are new to cream blushes and you have a tight budget, I highly recommend these. If you already have a substantial collection of cream blushes and you expect your blush to last all day long, you probably won't be missing these. For the price I can't complain about the lackluster staying power and the next time I spot a good sale I will definitely be picking up more shades! Have you tried these blushes? What are your favorite cream blushes?


**UPDATE June 1, 2012** After testing these out a bit more, I am happy to report that I was able to get these to last on my face for about eight hours which is decent. I really cannot find fault with these blushes and love them even more than I originally did!

6 comments:

  1. hey girlie, i just awarded you with the blogger appreciation award here http://belges.blogspot.ca/2012/04/blogger-appreciation-award.html xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color of Tea Rose! I finally found an Ulta near me and now I have a great excuse to go there. I have Illamasqua's cream blusher in Rude, which is a warm, coral color and I love it so far. I'm definitely looking to add to my cream blush collection and these look like they'd be perfect. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nearest Ulta is still a hop and a skip away :( I wish they would just open one in the city so it would be more convenient! I love Illamasqua's Rude and I actually wore it today! Thanks for checking out my blog :D

      Delete
  3. I really like Rose Petal color, I might have to pick it up. Does it feel sticky on the cheeks throughout the day or does it set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blend out the blush until it sets although it will leave a slightly dewy finish. It doesn't feel sticky though and I can imagine it would only feel uncomfortable if you apply too much product.

      Delete