Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Recent Favorites // April 2012


So far my beauty buying ban has been going well and it's been over a month since my last beauty related purchase (not including Birchbox of course!). Whenever I go on makeup buying bans I tend to shop my stash and find products I used to enjoy or sometimes never even really tried. Lately these few products have been sitting firmly atop my vanity and getting lots of love.

Mac Face and Body Foundation - I have both good and bad things about this foundation and I really wanted to try it on myself because I love a sheer, natural looking foundation and this seemed to fit the bill. I requested a sample at Mac and the makeup artist matched me to the shade C2 which is spot on. This foundation is one of the most natural, foolproof bases I have yet to try and I really enjoy using it to even out my skin tone. I will be doing a full review (with a demo!) on this soon so I don't want to go too in depth at the moment.

Bare Minerals Mineral Veil - This tiny sample was part of the Sephora Sun Safety Kit last year and when I first tried using it in the midst of summer on my tan skin, it gave me a ghostly cast. Fast forward a few months and I have been using this daily to set my makeup as it looks great on fairer skin tones. Despite the tiny jar this has lasted me months since I only need a tiny bit to set my whole face. I find that this looks lovely over moisturized skin with no foundation because it seems to blur imperfections and minimize shine without over mattifying.

Too Faced Blush - Apologies for bringing up a limited edition product with no name but I had to do it. I talked about this a bit in my My Top 5 Blushes post but it didn't make the top 5 simply because it is limited edition. This bright pink with gold shimmers livens up my face brilliantly and imparts a glow from within. The lasting power is great and the pigmentation is amazing so I probably won't have to look for a replacement anytime soon. Unfortunately the clunky packaging has taken it's toll on the product and the poor blush is easily shattered.

Maybelline Pink Please Lipstick + Mac Fashion Whim Cremesheen Glass - This combination is the perfect creamy baby pink lip. Pink Please was extremely popular a few years back but nobody seems to talk about it anymore. I picked it up during the hype but it looked too pink and garish by itself. Fashion Whim is too nude by itself and tends to make me look like a zombie when worn alone. The two products together balance each other out amazingly!

Josie Maran Argan Oil - This mini was part of the Sephora In The Glow set and I did not start using it until recently. This is supposed to be a multipurpose oil which can be used for the face, hair and body. At first I tried using this on my face as a moisturizer but it really did not make a difference in my skin and I preferred using my traditional creams better. Then one day I spontaneously decided to smooth it into my hair after towel drying. Doing this every time after I wash my hair (every other day) has really made a difference in my hair. It is noticeably less coarse and more manageable. My hair also feels cleaner and less oily during the second day after washing as opposed to when I used no product in my hair. I only use two tiny drops of this each time and the small .17 ounce bottle is sure to last me into summer! The .5 ounce bottle only costs $14 so this product really doesn't break the bank.

Kerastase Elixir Ultime - I received this in my Birchbox last month and have been using it the same way that I use the Josie Maran oil. I choose this or the Josie Maran oil to use on my hair and both seem to have the same effect so I felt like I should include both in this post. The thing about this that makes it less appealing than Josie Maran's Argan Oil is that this contains silicones and other additives whereas Josie Maran's formula is pure argan oil. The Kerastase treatment is also heavily perfumed which can be quite irritating. If you purchased the full size, it would be a whopping $54 for 4.2 ounces. Yes, per ounce Josie Maran's Argan Oil is about double the price of Kerastase's Elixir Ultime but it would take me years to use up 4.2 ounces and by then the product would have probably expired. If you don't mind having silicones and other additives in addition to perfume in your hair oils then this might be something you want to look into.

Check out the video below to see the products a little better!


What are some of your current favorite products?

10 comments:

  1. i love josie maran argan oil! great favorites x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I tried it on my hair before giving up on it! I usually don't like putting things in my hair and these products are going to help me branch out :D

      Delete
  2. I really like the MAC F&B foundation also! Although I'm afraid it is breaking me out :( I hope not though! I love the dewy finish so much! And, like you, I have oily skin too :p

    I love Maybelline's Pink Please!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I've heard of Mac foundations breaking people out but I asked the Mac sales associate (or makeup artist I guess) and she says it's usually the thicker Mac foundations that tend to have that problem. I've been using F&B quite often and it hasn't led to any breakouts so I think my skin can tolerate it.

      Delete
  3. great favorite picks! i also have a question about makeup removing.
    if you just put on under eye concealer on an every day basis, how would you go about removing it?

    oil-based eye makeup remover? or makeup remover for the face? or other types of makeup remover? :] thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I usually don't only wear under eye concealer but if I did I would probably use a face makeup remover to take it all off. I find that eye makeup removers are usually not as strong to remove face makeup. I would suggest using something like a cleansing oil or maybe a micelle solution like Bioderma's Sensibio (many other brands like Vichy, La Roche Posay, and various Japanese drugstore brands also make them) to gently massage under your eyes to remove the concealer. This way you won't be tugging too much under your eyes which can lead to premature wrinkles in the long run. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. thanks for the recommendations! really appreciate them, cuz i need to try something new. been getting some bumps around my eye area from the oil-based eye makeup remover i've been using lately :[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I hope you find something that works well for you :D

      Delete