Friday, May 11, 2012

Gossip Girl Birchbox: May 2012


This month's Birchbox is Gossip Girl themed which is welcome news for a lot of the show's fans. Even though I have never watched an episode of Gossip Girl, the idea of a box inspired by the fashionable gals and impeccably handsome men on the show was appealing.


Compared to other beauty subscription boxes, Birchbox seems to excel at establishing relationships with not only beauty brands but with entertainment, lifestyle, and fashion companies as well.


Here is the rundown of the products I received in my box along with the usual prices of the full sized items. Some of the other boxes contained Stila liquid liners or lip treatments from Fresh, among other goodies. I was a bit underwhelmed with my box to be honest but I can definitely use every single item so I cannot complain.


I am very surprised I actually like the scent of the Bvlgari perfume which is clean and fresh (I know, I'm horrible at describing scents). I always think Color Club is a cheapy nail polish brand because their logo looks incredibly juvenile.... Was that shallow of me? Nonetheless, I am happy with the color because I have no coral nail polishes (amazing considering I own probably at least 10 coral blushes). The Ojon conditioner is something nice to try since I have never tried anything from the brand and I am starting to get very into haircare. Unfortunately the first few ingredients consist of several alcohols and my arch nemesis dimethicone. Lastly, I'm always down to try out a new skincare product in my routine but I'm not sure how they decided that the Kiehl's Abyssine Cream + was a good fit for my skin type. The cream is targeted to an older market for combating wrinkles and I know it's never too early to start prepping against early aging.... But I'm not even in my twenties yet so I probably would have benefited more from another product.

All in all, this month's box contained a few nice surprises like the perfume (not that I think a perfume sample is worth it but I like the scent) and the coral nail polish. I would have preferred one of the Kerastase hair treatments but really, how were they supposed to know. I'll be happy to try out the Kiehl's cream because I've been interested in the brand for a long time as well. I felt that the items were not as luxurious or fashion forward as I would have expected from something Gossip Girl themed. Nonetheless, I am still a happy Birchbox subscriber and I can't wait to see what's in store for next month!

4 comments:

  1. Gossip Girl theme sounds really cute! I like Kiehl's products; I have a few at home. I hope you like their Abyssine cream even though it's not in your age range.

    I subscribe to MyGlam, and it has had its ups and downs. I might unsubscribe if May's bag is lacking though.. I haven't received a bag where I've used every single product in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to try out the cream in the winter since my skin is more dry then. I've seen other people's MyGlam bags and I know I would not like the subscription :X The whole thing with the Youtubers is really gimicky in my honest opinion :(

      Delete
  2. i really like that nail polish you got! such a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nail polish was my favorite product in the box! I don't have a color like it in my collection :D

      Delete