Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Beauty School Birchbox: August 2012


The August Birchbox tries to get subscribers excited for the start of the school year with some nifty little beauty products and a non-profit pledge to boot. I love the concept and execution of the box and the Pencils of Promise partnership is great. The only downside for me this month? The actual products.


Instead of the usual placard written in letter format, there is fold out manual giving beauty advice. Some of it is very basic, beginner tips like what a eyeshadow brush is for but the label information was quite interesting. The design of the card is very well done and high quality. One of the things I really appreciate about Birchbox is their design and aesthetic.


I believe that beauty and fashion brands should always find a way to get involved with a non-profit cause and Pencils of Promise is just that. I think I might just place an order this month!


The only downer for me is the products I received in my box. The C.O. Bigelow Lip Shine is full sized but I already have a million and one lip balms to use and I'm not a huge fan of squeeze tube lip shines. This is not Birchbox's fault but just a personal preference. Now the Eye Rock eyeliner strips I'm having trouble comprehending. Am I the only one who has no desire to bother with cutting up little adhesive strips to put on my eyes? I'm incredibly wary of this product because my single eyelids might not work well at all with these strips. Eyeliner is really not that hard to do, it just takes practice. The Juice Beauty moisturizer is nice for travel although the size is a bit small for my liking. I wish the size would have been switched with the lip shine! Viva La Juicy La Fleur is nice but nothing exceptional. I actually wouldn't mind perfume samples as much if they were from more exclusive brands such as Jo Malone or Diptyque. Lastly a Shick Hydrosilk Razor was included in every single Birchbox which was a nice bonus. Honestly, I'm not fussy about my shaving products so I wasn't too excited about this Birchbox Find.

All in all, technically the $10 value is there but for my taste, this box was one of my least favorites out of the six I've received thus far. What did you get in your beauty subscription box this month?

6 comments:

  1. I'm not subscribed to any month beauty boxes because i am terribly afraid that I will get lots of things that I don't like. So hopefully next month's will be awesome for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a little nervous for each month as well but mostly I'm excited. In the long run I think Birchbox is great for the $10 a month and they have event perks and contests which make it an even better value. Hopefully next month is a great box!

      Delete
  2. I was really excited to get this months Birchbox! The Juice Beauty Oil Free Moisturizer is my favorite and I really like the razor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved the Birchbox this month! Hopefully I like the Juice Beauty Moisturizer as much as you :)

      Delete
  3. Your birchbox reviews are really helpful! I have the eyeko eye liner in the back of my mind to try one day. Hope next month's is better. That is ... strange that you actually have to cut the sticker strips yourself on top of the already strange fact that they exist! =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like these posts! I'm really not looking forward to trying the eyeliner stickers just because they seem like a huge hassle. I'll probably get some of my cousins to try them out with me so it'll be a more fun experience.

      Delete