Friday, August 17, 2012

My Top 5: Must Have Nail Polishes


In the last few months my nail polish collection really took off and now I have about 40 bottles of polish with not enough room to store them. Many other beauty fanatics have even more polish and in all honestly I can't even fathom when 40 bottles will get used up. An ordinary woman needs only a few polishes to last a lifetime and I chose a few staples that I always reach for when I'm not feeling adventurous.


Red nails never go out of style and I think they show confidence, much like a red lip. One of my favorite red polishes is Spoiled Lox-y Lady. I absolutely love the cream finishes by Spoiled and the $2 price tag is unmatched. Lox-y Lady has a tinge of pink in the formula but it looks predominantly red on the nails.

I love metallic nails to offset my usually somber and neutral outfits or as an accent color to complement a nude mani. Orly Rage is a highly raved about rose gold metallic shade. The formula could be a teeny bit more long wearing but it is a dream to apply. This really shines on the nails and draws a bit of attention.

Unlike those horrendous shattered polishes, I think flaky polish is a trend that will be here to stay. Essie Shine of the Times is a beautiful flaky that reflects green, gold, and copper under different lighting conditions. This easily transforms dark colored cream polishes into glittery goodness!

For a dark neutral I love Rimmel Steel Grey; if this was an eyeshadow shade, it would be mine in a heartbeat. This mauve, eggplant grey looks especially nice for fall and winter. The cream finish instantly makes my nails look chic and sophisticated.

Last but not least, a sheer nude pink is in order when you want your nails to appear clean but not like you tried too hard. Lilladylife did a whole post comparing various popular sheer "my nails but better" colors so check that out if you're into the natural nail look. I don't have any of the shades she mentioned but I have a tiny polish that was in one of the limited edition Sephora by OPI sets called Dear Diary which works just fine for me. The set was limited edition but you can still buy the full size of Dear Diary at Sephora.

Unless you're a nail polish fanatic who loves to try all the latest shades and trends, I think a basic line up of go-to shades is all you need. If you had to narrow your nail polish collection to just five shades, which would you choose?

2 comments:

  1. i've always wanted to try Dear Diary but for some reason never picked it up!!! thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for pointing out that it's not LE! It's just the set that was LE but I assumed all the shades were too. I try to give a shout out whenever I can to bloggers that I really enjoy reading!

      Delete