Saturday, August 4, 2012

Recent Favorites // August 2012




Month after month it seems that my attitude towards beauty products is more about simple products that work time and time again. I don't want to have to try 15 different application techniques to get something to look "okay". It has to look good and I dole out money for a high quality product. These are products that have been staples on my vanity because they look gorgeous with minimal hassle and I think they would work on anyone!

Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo - I picked two bottles of this up when CVS was doing a promotion because I was looking for a once-a-week shampoo to really deep clean my hair. Reviews for this very inexpensive product are mostly positive but I was honestly wary because of the cheap price tag. Luckily this has only done good things for my hair! My parents and I have gone through the first bottle already and I can see myself repurchasing this. It cleanses very well and my hair feels especially airy and light after use. I always make sure to use a good conditioner afterward to ensure my hair is not stripped.

Revlon Quick Dry Base & Top Coats - I reviewed these before and compared the top coat to Seche Vite. This base coat and top coat keep most of my nail polishes on my nails for a week without chips. It's a great product from the drugstore that I will be repurchasing time and time again.

La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide - You might already know that I love the original Toleriane formula and this one is no different. This has a slightly more watery texture but it's perfect for the summer. At this point I'm ready to declare La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizers as my all time favorites and use them for the rest of my life.... 

Melvita Rose Water - I've been obsessed with rose scented beauty products and this organic rose floral water is a great toner and makeup refresher. This tiny spray bottle was in my June Birchbox and is the perfect size to fit in my daily makeup bag. When my skin is feeling dry or my makeup is looking a bit cakey I spray a bit of this and I'm good as new.

Rosebud Salve Strawberry Lipbalm - This is one of those products I'll use everyday for a few months then never reach for it for the next few months. I actually featured this in my January favorites but some time between then and now I neglected this again. I mostly use this right before bed to keep my lips hydrated throughout the night.









Illamasqua Cream Blush in Rude - Coincidentally, this was also featured in my January favorites. I knew it was going to be a winning product for the summer and I was right. This is one of my top 5 blushes for good reason. It's a breeze to apply it gives the most natural coral flush. This looks wonderful on sunkissed skin and I highly recommend it to everyone. 

Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in RSVP - Ah, the champagne cream shadow, a staple in every busy gal's collection. RSVP is an oldie but a goodie; it's been in my collection since 2010. Recently I've been smothering this in the inner half and middle part of my eye when I'm only wearing a wee bit of liner and mascara. This is not creaseproof without an eyeshadow base but it's still a good product.

Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyestudio in Bad To The Bronze - Everyone and their mothers has named this a favorite in recent months. I only recently succumbed to the hype (I really do NOT need anymore makeup and certainly no more cream shadows) but I understand the love for this product. It's a universally flattering shade of brown and actually looks quite light on my skin. I prefer to build this up a bit so I can use it as an eyeshadow base for a daytime smokey eye. My favorite way to use this is in conjunction with my next favorite product....

Nars Eyeshadow Duo in Kalahari - To be honest this is not the smoothest, most pigmented eyeshadow out there. For the hefty price tag, I really expected more. I found that layering the more shimmery shade in the duo over Bad To The Bronze really makes both products "pop" and I get a metallic finish on my lids. I blend a bit of the satin shade in the duo in the crease to get some definition.

Stila In The Light Palette - When I saw this sample in my July Birchbox I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I do, afterall I already own the infamous Urban Decay Naked Palette which I barely reach for. But I took the top row of shadows in my travel makeup bag and I was really impressed by the shades. The shadows are highly complementary and the quality is good too.

Eyeko Skinny Eyeliner - Looking back the June Birchbox was actually a great box because I ended up liking most of the products. I was so excited to receive this liner because I have always been horrible at applying liquid liner in the traditional tubes. This pen style makes liquid liner infinitely easier. The formula is jet black and totally smudge-proof. My faith in liquid liner is restored.

Maybelline One By One Waterproof Mascara - I've raved about this mascara time and time again because it is one of the best mascaras I have ever used. Whilst it doesn't deliver as much volume as I would prefer, the lengthening, separating, and curling abilities make up for it. This holds my curl far better than any mascara I have tried before and I can build up multiple layer without clumps. My short lashes are actually visible when I use this mascara and that's a big deal.


You can see neutrals are dominating my favorites as usual! Check out the video below for more swatches!



Have you tried any of these products? What are your favorites at the moment?

10 comments:

  1. i've always looked at kalahari every time i went into sephora and debated over it. its lovely though.. haha
    great favorites!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the shades in Kalahari weren't as stunning as they are, I'd be so disappointed with the amount I paid for it (actually, I had a giftcard so I supposed that lessened the sting). The shimmery shade is an amazing golden taupe!

      Delete
  2. Nice favorites. I really need to pick up a clarifying shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pang :) I love how my hair feels after using a clarifying shampoo. I only wash my hair every other day and sometimes I can go 2 days without washing if I've only been lounging around the house. It's definitely improved the quality of my hair!

      Delete
  3. I didn't want to buy the Stila palette for the exact same reason, I just looks too close to the Naked palette! But I'm always so tempted, I love Stila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do! I have literally been using at least one color from the palette everyday I've been wearing eyeshadow....

      Delete
  4. I only recently bought Bad to the Bronze too (they were just released here in AUS), and I love it to bits already. I like wearing it as a base also, it's just so easy to work with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone loves this because it's just foolproof! It's really an indicator of how good drugstore brands are becoming.

      Delete
  5. Great favorites. I love using that Suave shampoo on my foundation and concealer brushes, it gets all the gunk out of those dense brushes really well. And every time I am at Sephora, I keep swatching that Stila palette and liking it, so I might pick it up during this year's sephora's FF sale. I am sad about Nars duo, because it's been on my wishlist forever, and it looks so pretty in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost out of the cleanser I've been using on my brushes so I'm going to use the Suave shampoo next! The Nars duo is still good but I really can't highly recommend it.

      Delete