Saturday, August 18, 2012

theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer: For the Brightest Complexion You'll Ever Need


TheBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer has been gaining quite a track record for being one of the most pigmented and highly raved about highlighters on the market, and for good reason. I've had Mary-Lou Manizer on my radar for months but I already had several highlighters to use up. To my great fortune, my pin-up makeup tutorial was chosen to be featured on the Birchbox blog and they sent me Mary-Lou Manizer as a prize.


TheBalm is always generous with the amount of product and their price point is not too high so the value for money is fantastic. For $24 you get a whopping 8.5 grams or .3 ounces in the Mary-Lou Manizer compact. For comparison, a Nars blush contains 4.5 grams or .16 ounces which is about half. Coupled with the amazing pigmentation which you'll see below, Mary-Lou Manizer will last you a lifetime, if not more.


Mary-Lou Manizer has a warm golden sheen and the tiniest swipe yields intense shimmery goodness. There are no glitter particles and the powder is very finely milled.


On the left you can see a full on swipe of the product which is definitely not what you want on your skin. This color would look great on the eyes as an all over wash or an inner corner brightener though. On the right the product is blended out a bit so it looks like my skin is naturally glowing from within. As you can see I've gotten quite tan this summer (five hours of rafting does what no self tanner can do!) so Mary-Lou Manizer looks extremely stark on my skin. Due to the insane pigmentation of this highlighter, it is paramount that you use a light hand and take care in blending out the product. That is probably the one reason why I can't use this everyday because I'm just not too keen on concentrating too much when applying my highlight.

Mary-Lou Manizer lives up to the hype and for the price it definitely rivals more expensive highlighters. But for my personal preference, I'd probably only reach for this on days that I have more time to get ready so it won't be a fixture in my usual morning routines. Have you tried theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer? What do you think?

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that highlighter looks really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! But you have to use the TINIEST amount and blend out well.

      Delete
  2. My first time hearing about this product. I love how it has a golden/yellow shine to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm surprised you've never heard about this before. It's gotten pretty rave reviews from quite a few Youtubers/bloggers. The golden shine is definitely great for my warmer skintone!

      Delete
  3. Never tried it before, but wow it's really pigmented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I think it's one of the most pigmented cheek products I own and it's very similar to an eyeshadow.

      Delete
  4. It's incredibly pigmented for a higlighter. Though the color is quite pretty I probably would rather use something more subtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same thought process with highlighter :)

      Delete
  5. I want~! I need to go a quest to find this at TJ Max ahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scoured TJ Maxx to find this but only came home with a few of their other products. Hope you can find this for a steal!

      Delete
    2. I hope this reaches you in time. Hautelook has theBalm cosmetics on sale today and they do have this product on there. So go check it out. You get it at a much lower cost than the original price.

      Delete
  6. I recently ordered my first highlighter - jemma kidd in iced gold. Going by the photos online, the color looks similar to this one. Congrats on your vlog reward! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, you've ordered yourself a cult favorite. I have that on my wishlist but in Iced Gold because I get quite pale in the winter and I think it would be a better color on me. Hope you like it!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I'm getting iced gold too! Originally, I wanted rose gold but it was discontinued. Do you have any idea why? I was guessing maybe it's a summer only thing.

      Delete
    3. oh, I also just got this in my inbox - at feel unique it is on sale for 23.80 w/ free shipping
      [ http://www.feelunique.com/p/Jemma-Kidd-Dewy-Glow-All-Over-Radiance-Creme-10g ]

      Delete
    4. Oh, I'm not sure why they would discontinue it since it was so popular! I never get why brands do that.... Thanks for the heads up on the sale but I already have a lot of highlighters and I'm trying to be good about spending on beauty products :)

      Delete
  7. It is such a pretty highlighter, and now that I have a tan I wish I had it, but it's too yellow toned for me in the winter. I am sure it'll look great with your skintone. It'll look pretty as eye shadow too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would look lovely on more fair skin! I actually can't wait to use this in the winter when I'm pretty pale to give my skin a glow.

      Delete
  8. one of my favorite highlighters! but i like noticeable highlights :) i find using a stippling brush with this very lightly diffuses the product easily and not as starkly as if you used it with your finger. hopefully that helps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm, thanks for the suggestion. I don't really have a sparse stippling brush. The Mac 188 looks like it'd be great with this. I've been using my Real Techniques Contour Brush with a super light hand to apply this.

      Delete