Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beauty Essentials Haul: Skincare and Haircare


On the makeup buying front, I've been well behaved. But I can't help it when the products I use on the daily (or almost as often) are running low.... When I'm tipping the eye makeup remover for every last drop or squeezing the few bits of cleanser left in the bottle, I know it's time to restock on the necessities.

Surprisingly, I made a few repurchases which is rare for a beauty junkie like me who has to try every product ever made. I gave the last fifth of my beloved Thayers Rose Witch Hazel Toner to my mom to try and so I had to buy two more bottles, one for her and one for myself. This makes it my third bottle for myself and most repurchased toner to date! I don't mind paying the $10 for the 12 oz. bottle but it happened to be on sale for $7 or $8 which sweetened the deal even more. I also needed a gentle morning cleanser so I bought the Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel after using up a deluxe sample a few months ago. It's inexpensive (combined with my 25% off CVS coupon it's an even better deal!), gentle and effective so no complaints here!

I've been wearing makeup more often as of late since my classes start in the afternoon rather than at the crack of dawn. Thus, I've also been going through my makeup removers at a faster rate. I wanted to buy a bottle or two of Target Up&Up's Eye Makeup Remover since it's the most inexpensive and effective one. Unfortunately I couldn't find a bottle at my local Target two weeks in a row so I'm not sure if they make it anymore. A viewer recommended the Boots Eye Makeup Remover so I bought that instead. So far it does the job but it leaves a bit of an oily residue. I'm onto the last few pumps of the Bright Up Mandom Cleansing Express so I also restocked on a new cleansing oil. I somewhat blindly chose the Juju Aquamoist Cleansing Oil which works fine as a makeup remover but I'm not head over heels in love with it.

While picking up the Thayers toner, Whole Foods was running a deal on the Alba Botanica Mango Shampoo and Conditioner for under $7 so I thought it would be a great chance to try a sulphate free shampoo and some products from Alba. I later checked online and each of the bottles is usually sold for $7 each so I think I got a decent deal.


Last but not least I took the online skincare analysis quiz on the Mario Badescu website and they sent me some samples of products that should be suitable for my oily combination, acne prone skin. Anyone can take the quiz but I'm not sure if they have the samples offer year round.

Check out the video below to hear more of my first impressions of the products!


Have you tried any of these products? What are your skincare essentials and products you have purchased time and time again?

10 comments:

  1. im quite a fan of the drying lotion and am currently using the MB toner which is not bad but I prefer Thayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drying lotion is the one product I'm really interested in trying from Mario Badescu! I think I'm sticking with Thayer's for life because it's effective and inexpensive :)

      Delete
  2. The Alba shampoo/conditioner sounds yummy! I go cuckoo for anything mango, haha. I got one of those MB sets before. I never got to trying them, so they all dried up LOL. At least they were free? xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scent is not mango-like unfortunately :( I wish it actually smelled like mango! I hope I can use up the samples before they dry up! I'm such a sample hoarder that I always neglect them!

      Delete
  3. Ahh Alba shampoos are my favourite, they smell so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard anything good or bad about their shampoos so it's good to know someone likes them! I'm excited to try the set out now!

      Delete
  4. I went to the Whole Foods personal care section last week and saw that sale price for the Thayers. I guess I didn't look carefully enough because I thought that was its regular price hah Now that I know where it is, it's next on my toner list :D

    I did that MB analysis over the summer. They supposedly sent/was going to send samples but it never came in the mail..boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like the toner if you try it :) The MB samples took about 2-3 weeks to get to me so maybe they're still in transit?

      Delete
  5. I'm not a fan of this Simple cleanser, it just didn't leave my face feeling clean z=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt the first few times I used it but then I got accustomed to the feeling. I like using it in the morning when I only have some oil and skincare residue from the night before to rinse off. I like that it doesn't strip my skin completely. Skincare products don't work the same for everyone though so I get what you mean!

      Delete