Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Goop Birchbox: October 2012


This month's Birchboxes shipped out especially early for some reason but I'm not complaining one bit; the sooner my box comes in, the faster I get to sample new goodies! Subscribers got the chance to choose between a Goop collaboration box or a regular themed box. Of course I chose the special collaboration box as I'm usually interested in any special partnership.


To be honest, I'm not sold on Goop's website. It seems a bit clunky to me and the shop offerings are a tad meager. That being said, the editors have simplistic yet refined tastes that appeals to me and I like the aesthetic of the brand. Can their personalized tissue paper get any cuter?


The DDF cleanser was the most exciting product this month because I am almost out of my nighttime cleanser and was looking to try something new. The generous sample size is about half of the full version making it worth about $19, nearly double the price of a Birchbox. I like to try any products that claim to brighten or fade discoloration and my skin is currently recovering from a pretty bad stress and bad eating induced breakout. The Orofluido hair oil is the second most exciting product for me since I just finished up my Josie Maran Argan Oil sample (which I really enjoyed). I can't wait to see if the Orofluido gives my hair a little boost despite the drying, cool weather. The Caudalie sample is nice just because I think their products are always luxe and fancy. But the size of the sample is sorely disappointing.... I think the 2ml sample will last me about half an application. I really do not think I can judge a serum based on such a small amount. The per-fékt Beauty Lip Perfection Gel is another incredibly small sample that will get me one or two uses. The color seems pretty but I wish it was a somewhat larger size. I would rather have one decent sized sample instead of two of the teeny tiny samples. The tea bags are a nice bonus as I've been starting to drink green tea in the mornings again.

Overall, the value of this month's box was on point. I checked out some of the other box variations and I was impressed with those too. There were some Chantecaille lipgloss and mascara samples as well as some Malin+Goetz items which I would have loved to received as well. What did you get in your latest Birchbox? Have you tried any of these items before?

6 comments:

  1. I feel like the Caudalie samples are usually that tiny - I had a sample of their eye cream that was the same size and actually lasted me a month. But that lipgloss sample is such a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because Caudalie products are pretty pricey. I have some samples of their other products in decent sizes though. I guess it depends on the type of product (cleansers and masks are more generous than serums and eye creams).

      Delete
  2. I finally got out of the queue/wait and chose the goop box for this month! I can't wait for it to arrive. Loving your skincare samples and the teas! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Excited to see what you get :D Some goop boxes contained the Eve Lom cleanser and muslin cloth which I've been dying to try!

      Delete
  3. I was incredibly disappointed with this month's box (I got the same one as you!) The only potentially appealing thing was the DDF cleaner and I'm worried it's going to screw up my sensitive skin. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, it sucks when products don't agree with us and ruins the box for the month :( My skin usually don't react too badly to AHA or cleansers in general so hopefully the DDF product works for me. Hopefully next month is better for you!

      Delete