Friday, October 26, 2012

Lush Charity Pot: A Chocolate Lover's Lotion


I had dabbled in a variety of Lush products from massage bars to body scrubs but somehow had never tried something as basic as a body lotion until recently. I gravitated toward their well known Charity Pot hand and body lotion because 100% of the sales go towards a charity. Win for my skin and a good cause!


Lush tries to keep many of their products packaging-free to cut down on waste but when they do need a container to hold a lotion, they definitely know how to provide a good amount of information. Different tubs of Charity Pot have different stickers on the tops denoting which charities Lush supports. For a mere 7.9 ounces the lotion costs $22.95 which is quite expensive. If you were to use this as an all over body lotion every day, this will run out in less than a month. I usually use this about three or four times a week in rotation with other lotions. I can swallow the price this once as it is supposedly going to a socially beneficial cause.


This vegan body lotion contains a mixture of moisturizing ingredients which are all clearly stated on the back sticker. Really, whoever designs the packaging label for Lush needs a high five because they provide a lot of useful information that I don't want to be bothered to look for on my own. As you can see there are various oils such as almond, ylang ylang, geranium and tagetes to help nourish the skin along with organic cocoa butter. As with many of Lush's products, there are some sneaky parabens toward the end of the ingredients list which may turn some people off. Honestly, I don't mind the parabens too much because without them, my Lush goodies would probably expire long before I finished them because I take an abnormally long time to use up products.


As someone with severely dry skin that will develop scabs and scales if not properly hydrated, Charity Pot is surprisingly moisturizing. I say (or should I say type) surprisingly only because the formula is very thin and light rather than being heavy and greasy like some other effective moisturizers. The lotion sinks into my skin very well and leaves no residue but my skin is noticeably softer and smoother hours later.

The one downside is a personal one and it concerns the scent. Charity Pot is advertised as a chocolatey lotion and it's exactly that. I feel like I'm smothering melted cocoa on myself due to the scent (don't worry, the texture feels nothing like sticky sweets) which is a bit odd. I'm not one for confectionery scents in my bath and body products usually but if you love chocolate, cupcakes and dessert scented lotions, this may be love! As for me, I already have my eyes on Lush's other lotion offerings with possibly more pleasing scents.

6 comments:

  1. I love lush products, but I just can't love this one even though it goes to a good cause. The scent just puts me off so much :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scent isn't TOO bad but it's not for me which is why I won't be repurchasing this :(

      Delete
  2. It's very moisturizing because of the almond oil..that's nice =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's probably the oils and cocoa butter that make this moisturizing. It's just interesting how lightweight it feels!

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried this but scent doesn't really bothers me as long it is moisturizing enough then I'm sold with it ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fortunate! I'm somewhat picky with scents so it's a real disappointment when the scent is the only thing I dislike about a product :(

      Delete