Thursday, October 18, 2012

Origins Super Spot Remover: Zap Zits Overnight


The combination of stress from class, less sleep than usual, poor eating habits and hormonal issues resulted in an outburst of angry pimples on my forehead and cheeks for the past few weeks. I needed something a bit stronger than my La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo to target the individual zits. The Origins Super Spot Remover has gotten a lot of buzz,both positive and negative, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to at least try it since Origins was having a deal I couldn't pass up (more about that HERE).

Origins claims that this product will "instantly help speed healing while anti-spot technology helps visibly correct post pimple darkening. Skin-calming Caffeine and Red Algae help visibly relieve irritating redness. And to help keep skin looking spotless, super exfoliators eliminate excess oils and pore-clogging debris". Those are mighty lofty claims for such a pint sized product. For $14.50 you get only 10ml but you only need to use the tiniest amount directly on top of the breakout. At first I started off using a cotton swab to apply the treatment but the cotton soaked up too much product and now I just use clean fingers. The compact size can be a big bonus if you happen to travel a lot and like to downsize your skincare.


Salicylic acid (1.5%) is the primary pimple fighting ingredient in the Super Spot Remover. The other ingredients are primarily water and denatured alcohol. Usually I stay far away from denatured alcohol in my skincare but I did not realize it was in this product and honestly, I don't really mind it's presence too much in this spot treatment since I only use it over top of spots. I don't really worry about drying my spots out too much since that's sort of the point. There are various other beneficial sounding ingredients such as witch hazel (still loving my witch hazel toner!), various plant oils and fruit extracts. There is a noticeable herbal medicinal scent that I find somewhat calming and pleasant.

So does it work? Yes, it definitely reduces the size and inflammation of my larger breakouts and speeds up the recovery process. I use this over cystic acne bumps that are about to form, forming and recovering. Sometimes this product stings a bit but it's nothing excruciating. It's just a bit of tingling and nothing as scary as when La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo burned my skin (felt like it but didn't actually burn anything) when I first started using that. Due to the small size and somewhat drying effect, I use the Origins Spot Remover on large spots and breakouts and my La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo on larger areas of enlarged, congested pores and less severe skin ailments.

I am very pleased with the Origins Spot Remover and would probably repurchase it as it's very handy for the spot that surfaces right when there's places to be and people to meet the next day. Have you tried the Super Spot Remover and if so, what do you think of it? What's your favorite acne treatment?

8 comments:

  1. I am really interested in this zit zapper. I use a toner that has 2% salicylic acid and it works amazingly well. But a concentrated spot treatment is something I need to have handy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use face washes with salicylic acid whenever I had some acne issues and that worked well for my skin. I think it's less harsh to target the spots instead of possibly drying out the entire face though!

      Delete
  2. I've seen a few beauty gurus rave about this product, and I think with your input on it, I need to give this a try!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find this works well if you try it!

      Delete
  3. wow! this seems pretty amazing! I really have to try this out! thanks for sharing ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes when you try it!

      Delete
  4. I have been eying this for a while and was finally able to order it this morning from sephora. can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hope you love it! It's been helping my breakouts so much during midterms :)

      Delete