Wednesday, November 7, 2012

September and October 2012 Empties


This post is going up a bit later than usual but I hope you all are still interested in seeing which items are on their way out of my beauty cabinets! Skincare dominates the roundup as usual and there were a mix of outstanding products I hate to say goodbye to and others I couldn't wait to use the last drop of.



C. Booth Original Bath and Body Oil - As I'm a shower kinda gal and not a bath person so I used this as my body moisturizer. I was keen on trying a body oil as opposed to a normal cream or lotion. It feels a bit more luxurious to moisturize with an oil but the process can be messier and this particular oil takes awhile to sink in and not all of it does. The price tag is very easy to swallow so I cannot fault this for not living up to my moisturizing needs but the hunt is on for a better body oil.

Mandom Bright Up Cleansing Lotion - I mentioned this cult favorite in my Disappointing Products Not Worth The Hype post simply because it just seems like a giant fuss and waste of cotton. Yes, it removes eye and face makeup decently and gently but it takes about four cotton pads in one go and cleansing oils are a lot more convenient for me.

La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide - This is the lighter version of my HG moisturizer, La Roche Posay Toleriane, and I loved this for the summer time. Everything about this is perfect for my skin and I cannot find any faults. I need to run to CVS to pick up a few more tubes of these moisturizers as my skin acts up more often when I use other moisturizers.




Boscia Peppermint Blotting Linens - These oil blotting sheets get the job done but they are a bit thin for my liking. I prefer the Clean and Clear version over these as I feel they remove more oil.

Josie Maran Argan Oil - This is meant to be a multi-purpose oil that can be applied to the hair and skin. I tried this once on my face and did not fancy the feeling (it did not seem to do anything) so it became a product I used after washing my hair. After towel drying my hair, I rub two or three drops of oil between my palms and run my hands through the ends of my locks. This oil seems to have strengthened my hair and kept it more healthy looking. After starting to use this oil as a hair treatment I feel that my hair has become more manageable and less frizzy. I intend to purchase the full sized version somewhere down the road.

Kate Somerville Exfolikate - Initially my impression of this chemical exfoliator was not highly positive as the price is outrageously high. But to my surprise (and delight), this tiny 15 ml sample lasted me about a year with weekly usage. This is an above average exfoliant which I would recommend and may come back to one day. However, there are many more exfoliating products that I would like to try before repurchasing this.

Korres White Tea Facial Cleanser - This came in the Korres pomegranate regimen kit and was easily the most disappointing product out of the lot. The scent is extremely similar to generic handsoap (ick!) and the lather is very weak. I used this up as a morning cleanser but would not recommend this to anyone. I believe this product is discontinued and with good reason!

Benta Berry G-1 Exfoliating Facial Cleanser - This incredibly small sample came in one of my Birchboxes and I was quite put off by the size. The product itself feels like a creamy moisturizer loaded with minuscule scrubbing particles that slough off dead skin. I prefer chemical exfoliants so this was not right for me. The scent of this is strikingly similar to that of the Korres pomegranate line which kind of bothers me.... I cannot quite pinpoint my annoyance at the similarity of the fragrances but it just irks me. 

Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum - Speaking of small samples, this measly tube lasted me exactly three applications. I thought it was going to last me one and a half so I suppose I was lucky. This has the classic Caudalie scent which I like and this serum sunk into my increasingly dehydrated skin like a dream. I would consider purchasing this if the price was not so out of my price range.

Lancome Bi Facil Eye Makeup Remover - Another sample bottle of my favorite eye makeup remover bites the dust. Nothing really has to be said about this other than it works!

Mario Badescu Collagen Moisturizer SPF 15 - Surprisingly I really enjoyed this sample despite usually avoiding moisturizers with SPF in them. I normally prefer a SPF-less moisturizer coupled with a separate sunscreen for daytime but this product was surprisingly light, non-greasy and sans fragrance.

Mario Badescu Cucumber Tonic Mask - This purifying mask dried quickly and seemed to help clean my skin and temporarily minimize enlarged pores. But I just cannot stand the strong scent of this product. It's as if they tried masking the clay smell with overpowering, chemical smelling additives that make the whole thing smell highly artificial and off-putting.




Maybelline One By One Waterproof Mascara - It was a sad day when this mascara started clumping and failed to hold a curl as well as it used to. I absolutely love this mascara and proclaim it as my current favorite mascara, ever! I will definitely repurchase this.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Mascara - I do not purchase high end mascaras and this was given to me by my mom's friend who works for Estee Lauder. I like this mascara mostly for my lower lashes as it separates and lengthens very well but tends to smudge easily. This looks decent on the upper lashes as well but fails to hold a curl well.

Milani HD Advanced Concealer - This was a product I hated at first before realizing I had to moisturize very well before using it. It first showed up in Products I Regret Buying post but later made it to a favorites post! What a difference! This is a great product for low maintenance makeup days when you can only be fussed to apply a few strokes of concealer before starting the day. You can see it in action in my Five Minute Makeup Challenge. I will not repurchase this specific product but am looking to picking up a similar style concealer from another brand.

Stila In the Light Eyeshadow Palette (sample) - I know, I know, how can I possible include a paper eyeshadow sample in an empties post? Well, this sample lasted me about a month of use which was incredibly surprising. I did not realize how much I would love these shades until I received this sample in a Birchbox. Honestly, I've used this sample more than my full sized Urban Decay Naked Palette. Where is the logic?!

Benefit Hellow Flawless Powder (sample) - Unlike the eyeshadows, this powder lasted me about three full uses which was still decent. I liked how natural this powder looked while keeping my shine under control. This probably won't be a purchase but it was definitely nice to try out a new powder for a few days.

Check out the video below to hear a bit more about the products!



Have you tried any of these products? What did you finish up recently? 

6 comments:

  1. i recently finished up a sample of exfolikate and loved it, but couldn't justify the price. maybe i should buy the smallest size if it's gonna last me a year too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that I only needed the tiniest amount to do the job so it ended up lasting me quite a while! If you want a stronger exfoliation, you can use more product each time but the tube will not last as long.

      Delete
  2. I felt the same exact way when I tried the Mandom cleanser a few years ago. Even if cleansing oils are a tad drying for me..they're just so much more efficient & effective =.=

    I don't know if my pen was bad one out of the batch but the Milani concealer I got would never pump out product when I wanted to. Then because I pressed a gazillion times the next time I took off the cap I find a huge mess...Plus I didn't like the formula. I guess I have to try it with more moisturized skin next time. Thanks for the tip :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, the Mandom cleanser strips the skin less but at the end of a long day I do not want to stand around and tediously use so many cotton rounds to get my makeup off.

      I had the same problem with the Milani pen when I first got it but I believe every click style product is the same. You have to be very patient and click about five or ten times and then wait for the product to move up. :(

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love ExfoliKate but the REN glycolic mask is becoming a fast favourite. Both are expensive but when you think about it, exfoliators last forever since you only need to use them 1-2x a week so the high prices become less of a big deal.
    After trying other neutral palettes like the Stila In The Know palette, I no longer care for my Naked 1 or 2. Other brands include more mattes which is more neutral/natural than the darker, shimmery options in the Naked's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried the REN glycolactic mask before and it was nice but the scent was not my favorite. From what I remember it was even more gentle because it had few or none buffing particles. I can usually justify spending a bit more on skincare since it usually pays off in the long run.

      I still like the shades in the Naked palette but it's just not something I reach for a whole lot. I personally still really like shimmer eyeshadows as they really add dimension to my otherwise flat eye shape. I was surprised at how much I like the Stila palette though.

      Delete